Sunday 19 July 2015

Artist Profile: Fiya. South Africa

Fiya hails from South Africa and paints in Johannesburg. With his crew Quest boys he creates striking pieces in the city with his style. We caught up with Fiya on his visit to South London to ask him a few questions.

when did you start graffiti?

I  remember playing with and writing a couple of names when I was about 12 but really only started to spraypaint properly in 2002.

what inspires you to paint?

 There is always inspiration if your eyes and ears are peeled. Anything is possible if you are open. Meeting and collabing with people,  going to a new place, reading something or even hearing a good song. Sitting on the porcelain throne can some times help.
I'm interested in my home land South Africa, exploring and traveling, liberation, nature, animals, magic, energy, omens, messages, jokes, people, politics, music, the good people I have grown up with and the ones I can grow with. I really like idea of Quantum Space Travel!

 How would you describe your work?

 Lately I've been experimenting with new angles. I find myself getting bored really quickly the older I get. Painting mostly graffiti lettering for a long l time, I found myself almost feeling stuck after a while. I'm trying to push myself in different directions these days to grow and keep things fresh. At the moment I'm trying to wax stuff that looks like "brain hiccups".

what do you want to achieve in Graffiti?


4. Painting for me is ritual, for some reason if I don't do it after a few days I feel anxiety. I just want to be able to keep it up. I hope that some of my pieces along the way can inspire and make some sort of positive impact on the people that see them.

Did you study art?

5. I did a bit of art in college but didn't really study it. I studied Photography.












No comments:

Post a Comment